Monday, November 16, 2009

Bus Ride: Salt Lake City to Denver

Let's call this, 'The Night From Hell: Don't Ever Ride A Greyhound Over Night'. It's taken us a little while to blog about the bus ride because it was the absolute worst thing we've done on our trip...

So Tuesday November 10th, we arrived at the Greyhound in SLC around 7pm, our bus was scheduled to leave @ 8:15p & arrive in Denver on Wednesday @ 6:15am. We were kind of looking forward to this overnight ride because our last one had gone pretty well. We had spent Tuesday hanging out in SLC, so we were prepared with books, snacks, drinks, movies, pretty much everything we might need. Well here is the first clue that should have let us know that the night was going to be an utter disaster: while we were waiting in the long line to board the bus {you have to stand in line or leave your stuff there to reserve your "seats" - otherwise, you are not guaranteed a seat} an Asian woman {I'd say she was in her mid-thirties} came over & asked me if I would like to buy her used-10 sizes-too-big-used-sandals for $1. I kindly said 'no' & looked away. She then asked Krista the exact same question & Krista also said 'no', but then the woman asked if she had any spare change. Krista gave her some change {75 cents} & the woman left.

That situation should have raised a red flag - but on our trip, we've seen so many people asking for money or food, that it wasn't really that surprising.

If you don't feel like reading a lot, I suggest you just stop now because this is about to get lengthy. It's the only way to sum-up our insane night :)

Here is the timeline of our night:

1. Apparently we didn't arrive early enough b/c we almost didn't make the cut for our bus.
2. See the highlight blue section above.
3. We left over an hour late & once again, almost didn't make our bus. AND we saw the crazy Asian lady buying snacks & coffee - now did she really need that 75 cents?
4. By the time we got on our bus, it was overcrowded & we couldn't sit together. I asked the guy next to me if he'd switch with Krista & he said, "ummmm, I am kind of a window guy". Seriously? Who isn't. What a turd.
5. The Asian woman was sitting in one of the first rows & when we were boarding, asked me if I were Korean, didn't wait for a response & then tried to speak Korean to me. I am still wondering what she said... then decided to announce to everyone that she had a douche bag & if you needed it, it was centrally located on the bus.
6. She talked 99% of the night. On her cell, to herself, to our poor bus driver, to anyone that might be listening or within earshot. I think she forgot to take her meds.
7. When we stopped 1/3 of the way through the night, she got McDonald's & then tried to sell the half eaten sandwich for a nickle. A nickle. For real? Then she reminded us all where the douche bag was, just in case we had forgotten.
8. The guy next to me was oozing over & under the armrest onto my half of the seat. Gross.
9. The man sitting next to Krista mumbled under her breath about how the chromosome-missing lady was being rude & she tried to start something with him. Actually, it was kind of entertaining.
10. Around 2am, she was asking the bus driver if she could sit in the front seat where his luggage was. "Sir, I know I am only 5'6", but Sir, I am so tired & everyone else is sleeping & I'd like to too. Please Sir, can I sit here? Please?" It took all our strength not to reach across the aisle & slap her.
11. We both opted to sleep with our scarves over our faces/heads. It was necessary to mask pretty much everyone & everything on the bus. My oozing neighbor asked if it was our first time on a Greyhound.. I said no, but that it was by far the worst one & we will never do it again. The scarves came in handy when the guy across from me took off his boots & his feet stank up the entire bus.
12. Crazy Asian tells her life story. Twice.
13. She tells us her first boyfriend had herpes.
14. "I am going to visit my new boyfriend, which is my ex-husband, who doesn't have herpes". -Crazy Asian Lady.
15. "God didn't want me to mess with my body. I eat well, I take care of it. Some people are just naturally clean."
16. "It's so easy to make money. You can sell anything, make an honest living, it's easy.... Hey, do you want to buy some food from me at the next stop? Anything I buy for $4 with my food stamps, I'll sell to you for a dollar."
17. At appx 7:15am, we arrived in Denver...sleep deprived, dirty, & feeling like we might hurt someone if they tried to talk to us.

{7:45am @ the Denver Marriott: scarf still in place & kind of hating life...just a little bit}

...coming up next: Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder! We go home Wednesday night :) cannot wait for our own beds, but are so extremely thankful to all of our family & friends who have let us stay with them {more to come on this too}!

xoxo
j & k

No comments:

Post a Comment